U.S. Naval Pensacola Air Station Federal Credit Union for Civil Service Employees was founded in 1936, at the start of World War II, aboard NAS Pensacola due to the need for low cost financial services. The newly chartered credit union began with $4,500 and funds were collected in a cigar box. We operated out of a room donated to us by the U.S. Navy. In 1953, the name changed to Pen Air Federal Credit Union.
The ties between the military and Pen Air have always been strong; however, it wasn't until 1960 that the military was added to Pen Air's field of membership. After outgrowing the space originally provided, the credit union moved to a bigger space behind the old chapel on NAS Pensacola in 1961.
Since then, our mission has remained the same - to promote the financial well-being of our members and to ensure the safety and soundness of our credit union. Keeping that mission alive has prompted a few changes along the way.
Pen Air has been improving the lives of our members and the communities we serve in Escambia and Santa Rosa, Florida and Baldwin County, Alabama for over 81 years. We have grown to be the largest locally-owned financial institution in the area with over 95,000 loyal members. We look forward to building on our legacy of service and making dreams come true for many generations to come.